Whose Stuff Is Not Covered Under Home Insurance Policy

Beware of coverage loopholes like whose property is NOT covered under your Homeowners Policy.

Are Domestic Partners and their “stuff” Covered under a Homeowners Policy? Let’s look at who is considered an insured on your homeowners Insurance Policy? Picture of Whose Stuff Is Not Covered Under Home Insurance Policy If a couple has been living together at least a year then one of our companies allows the Domestic Partner Endorsement on for free but your agent has to be aware of this to even let you know about it. You should let your agent know if you have a domestic partner. It is your responsibility to read your policy and know who is considered an insured.

If you are living with a significant other then ask if there is an endorsement called Domestic Partner Endorsement. You would not want your significant other’s cloths, furniture, jewelry (careful about how much jewelry is covered without scheduling it!), computer, TV etc not to be covered if there was theft, fire and other perils…would you?

It is very clear in homeowners policy language whose stuff is covered.

From A Mass Homeowners Policy:

A. In this policy, “you” and “your” refer to the “named insured” shown in the Declarations and the spouse if a resident of the same household. “We”, “us” and “our” refer to the Company providing this insurance.

5. “Insured” means:
a. You and residents of your household who are:

  • (1) Your relatives; or
  • (2) Other persons under the age of 21 and in the care of any person named above;

b. A student enrolled in school full time, as defined by the school, who was a resident of your household before moving out to attend school, provided the student is under the age of:

  • (1) 24 and your relative; or
  • (2) 21 and in your care or the care of a person described in a.(1) above; or

C. Coverage C – Personal Property

1. Covered Property
We cover personal property owned or used by an “insured” while it is anywhere in the world. After a loss and at your request, we will cover personal property owned by:

  • a. Others while the property is on the part of the “residence premises” occupied by an “insured”; or
  • b. A guest or a “residence employee”, while the property is in any residence occupied by an “insured”.

Every company may be different so read your policy.

The easiest way to look up what you want to know is get your policy in PDF format on your computer and search the document by control F. Then type in the word you are wanting to know more about or the coverage you want to know about.

Call us at Universal Insurance Agency and let us help with your coverage on Home, Auto and Business.

By Diane Goselin
Mass Licensed Insurance Agent

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *